Kathleen Shannon Glancy
A graduate of the University of Santa Clara School of Law, Mrs. Glancy received her undergraduate degree at the University of California, Irvine. She was licensed in Ohio in 1980 and received her North Carolina law license in 1983.
Mrs. Glancy served five years as staff and managing attorney at Legal Services in Fremont, Ohio, and in Wilmington, North Carolina. In 1985 she founded her own law firm dedicated to protecting the rights of injured workers and their families while devoting her time and energy exclusively to Workers’ Compensation, Social Security Disability, and Personal Injury cases.
She is an active leader in the Workers’ Compensation Section of North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ), formerly the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers (NCATL). She has served as the NCAJ Workers’ Compensation Section Chairperson. In 2000 she served as the Chair of the Political Action Committee of NCATL, and in 2002 she was the Vice President of Membership of NCATL. As a member of the Workplace Injury Litigation Group (WILG), she has served as Chair of the Medicare Taskforce. Mrs. Glancy is also an appointed member of the Advisory Committee for the North Carolina Industrial Commission and a member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ), the American Bar Association (ABA), and the National Organization of Social Security Representatives (NOSSCR). She is a frequent lecturer on the interaction of Workers’ Compensation and Social Security Disability programs, Medicare Set-Asides, and the indemnity offset, among other topics.
Mrs. Glancy was named one of the top fifty women lawyers in North Carolina by Super Lawyers in 2009 and 2010 and was inducted into the College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in 2007. In 2004, Mrs. Glancy was named a Woman of Achievement by the Lower Cape Fear YWCA.
Mrs. Glancy is a contributing author to the 2010 edition of The Essentials of North Carolina Workers' Compensation Law, edited by Valerie A. Johnson.
Areas of Practice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Premises Liability -- Plaintiff
- Workers' Compensation Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina, 1984
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Santa Clara University School of Law, Santa Clara, California
- J.D. - 1980
- University of California, Irvine, California
- B.A. - 1977
- Family Relationships Social Security Practice Guide, Volume 1, 1986
- Workers Compensation Offset Social Security Practice Guide, Volume 1, 1990
- The Essentials of North Carolina Workers’ Compensation Law, 2010
- Matthew Bender, Legal Publishing Company
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina Academy Trial Attorney, 1986 - Present
- National Association of Trial Attorneys, 1986 - Present
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives, 1995 - Present
- American Bar Association, 1985 - Present
- Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity, 1987 - Present
- United Way Information and Referral Service, 1989 - 1991
- Wilmington Civic Ballet, 1990
Past Employment Positions
- Legal Services of the Lower Cape Fear, Staff Attorney, 1983 - 1985
- Advocates for Basic Legal Equality (ABLE), Staff Attorney, 1980 - 1983